Monday, August 23, 2010

Oh the things my body can do*

Saturday, after a late night of beer pong and a few too many natty lights**, I went to the running store to stock up on gels, socks, and break down and buy body glide for my fat arms (although I wore a different shirt this time and I think that would have stopped the chaffing anyway). Then I headed to the gym and ran 15 miles. I know! I was as shocked as you! It was 5.0 mph so super slow, but it actually wasn't that difficult. I had the end of Bring it On, then all of Stick It, and the beginning of I Now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry to get me through. I know. I was glad the 15 miles were over too so I could turn that last crap off. There's really nothing like spending an afternoon on the treadmill to make you realize just how stupid the movie Stick It really is. Oh, Jeff Bridges...Why would you agree to do this?

Anyway, I was pretty impressed with myself. I came home and attempted to take an ice bath but all the ice melted in about 30 seconds so it was more of a cold water bath. The rest of the day was great. I went to a beer pong tournament that night and lost miserably. Then here comes Sunday morning and guess who doesn't want to work: my quadriceps. My back is also on the verge of strike if she doesn't get what she wants. Then this morning, after spending the weekend either barefoot or in flip flops, I put on my shoes for work*** and my left foot decided it wanted a 3 day weekend. Get in line, buddy! Now I'm sitting here with a tennis ball under my desk like a fool. I guess my body didn't really want to run 15 miles out of the blue. Oh well. If I can keep this up, I'm now on track with my long runs to make it to the marathon semi-properly trained. I'm not sure how the treadmill running will translate to outdoors, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there and it's not 98 degrees with 80% humidity outside.
Teaser: I cracked open my first homebrew bottle last night. Full details to come later. Maybe if someone would come back from vacation...


*And then make me regret later.

**Easily my favorite thing about gym membership. I can sleep in and start running at 1pm without fear of heat stroke and eventaul death when I realize I'm 7 miles from my house and still have to make it home. That way I can go out Friday nights instead of having to explain 15 times that I really need to get a run in so I should just go home and sleep. I think we all know who wins that battle 9 times out of 10.

***I wear these bad boys.
Not because they actually help tone my legs, but because the men find them so sexy. Now that I'm used to them, my feet actually hurt after standing for long periods if I wear regular shoes, so I'm kind of stuck with them.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 15-miler, but more to the point -

    I'M BACK, so how's about some deets on the brown ale?

    We just got back from our cruise and they pretty much don't let you sneak your own cases of beer onboard anymore (years ago, they looked the other way when you put a case in your baggage and the room stewards - who had to deal with all the empties the next morning - or, to be more precise, afternoon, since who gets up in the morning after all that beer? - didn't give a shit because they knew where their tips were coming from, so they'd never narc) ... and so long story short, we had to drink the piss beers the cruise line deigned to stock up on at like $5.95 a pop, so there was absolutely NO DRUNKENNESS on this cruise (not even a buzz, actually) and it will definitely be the LAST cruise I go on, though I said that also after the last two cruises (this was our fourth), but Teh 'B., who's in charge of vacations, keeps booking us on them, but to ME, it ain't a vacation without unlimited beer and I think Teh 'Bride realizes that if she books me on another beer-restricted vacation, I'll leave her for a barfly and I won't even care if that barfly is a dude as long as I can be a Top.

    In any case, after a five daze of such egregious beer FAILS as opting - OPTING - to drink Fosters (for no other reason than that it comes in a BIG-ASS Can), I'm ready to read about a few BEER WINs, like your success with the brown ale.

    So fucking get to it, already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, um ... did your home brew end up killing you? Because that would be embarrassing. But what a way to go, huh? Death by brown ale!

    Where the fuck are you, sister?

    ReplyDelete