Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Captain's log

It's been a busy few days. I think a captain's log will be the easiest way to recap events. Although, by captain's log, I'm really thinking more along the lines of Doogie Howser's Diary. Just picture a blue screen with typing, slowly backspacing, then re-typing more profound words.
Thursday night: Headed to Mystikal. May have had a couple of drinks before hand and a large daiquiri for the drive (we have to go drinks here and I wasn't driving). The concert was great including the opening dude Y.Luck. There may be a small gap in memory during Mystikal's actual performance, but it was the only memory gap for the entire weekend, so I consider that a success. Unfortunately, the Saints were unable to win their first preseason game, but luckily those don't really count. Mystikal in action:


Friday day: I took off work as a birthday present to myself. Instead of running hungover, I opted to sleep in and catch up on some game shows. I do love me some Feud. I had lunch with friends at a sushi place. I drank Sapporo light (because I'm watching my weight clearly) and found a new favorite: coconut lemongrass sake. Yum!! After that, my friend and I (her birthday is the day before mine so we both took off work) went to my favorite bar and got drinks on the house. Score! I had Shiner Bock there because it's my favorite. Then I went home and napped.

Friday night: Dinner with other friends. I had Nola Hopitoulas with my red beans and rice. Nola is a New Orleans Brewery that is only a few years old. The Hopitoulas (a play on the NO street name Tchoupitoulas) is my favorite of their brews. It's an ipa and has a lot more flavor than their main brews: the blonde and the brown. Then we went back to my favorite bar and I switched to Magic Hat #9 on tap. It's a good beer, not great. It's a little sweet, but still has a good beer flavor.

Saturday day: Off to New Orleans again at the crack of dawn for the Red Dress Run. It's not so much of a run as a 2 mile pub crawl with free beer along Bourbon Street. I stuck to Miller Lite because I was hungover and it was eleventy billion degrees. My other free option was Abita Amber, which is usually a favorite, but was too much that day. Here's me on a balcony overlooking bourbon during the RDR:
Saturday night: Dinner at Port of Call. Yum! Cheeseburger with a fully loaded baked potato. No beer since I have to get a Monsoon (aka delicious strong fruity rum drink) at PoC. It's mandatory.

Sunday: No drinking or running. Headed home, took the dogs to the park, and had a double header with my restaurant's softball team. We're awful and have yet to win a game, but we scored 4 runs in the second game (a new record for us!) and I even walked and made it home for one of those runs. It was eleventy trillion degrees that day and since we were on the field for most of those 2 hours and in the dugout usually for 3 up and 3 down, I was too hot to consider a long run.
Monday: Work all day. Home to change clothes and go to night job. Actually made a nice chunk of change for a Monday night. Then-and here's the kicker-went to the gym and ran 10 miles! It took me just shy of 2 hours but I finished and even managed to do negative splits. Of course, my arms are chaffed obviously because of the shirt I was wearing and not because I'm fat. Hello, did you see all the light beer I've been drinking?! I'm going to have to suck it up and buy some body glide. I also didn't bother stretching or an ice bath so I'm a little rickety today.
But, overall, it was a good...backspace, backspace, backspace, backspace....great weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, now that's an eventful weekend! Also, you totally kick ass for working two jobs and then running 10 miles. Holy moly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Doogie.

    So - DID YOU TAP THE FUCKING BROWN ALE YET OR WHAT?

    Geez! How many times I gotta ask?

    [drumming fingers] ... I'm waiting ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. Not until next week. The suspense is killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hadn't heard of Nola (would've guessed that was North Louisiana, shortened). Then I discovered Brau Brothers and Lift Bridge here in my own town and discovered that Surly is local - I need to spend some time on a bar stool!

    ReplyDelete